terrain building contest #1

the contest

Terrain from Junk is announcing the first of it's series of Terrain Building Contests. We are hoping to inspire others with our posts here and with the contest we aim to motivate! Tell your friends because this one's a no-brainer.

the prize

The winner of Terrain Building Contest #1 will receive as their prize, two (2) sprues of Aegis Defence Lines along with a static Defence Laser.

the rules

  1. You must be a follower of Terrain from Junk (hereafter referred to as TfJ)
  2. You must have submitted at least one (1) idea (through comments) for using a piece of junk that is in a TfJ post.
  3. The deadline for contest submissions is April 30th, 2010.
  4. Send all submissions to terrainfromjunk@yahoo.com
  5. You have one month to build a piece of terrain, using a piece of junk that is in any TfJ post that does NOT have an example photo.
  6. The piece of terrain must cover a minimum of 36 square inches (eg. 6"x6", 4"x9", 3"x12")
  7. The final submission must be fully painted and based.
  8. You must submit a minimum of 6 photos; 1) bits used, 2) built but unpainted, 3) primed 4 through 6) finished. You may submit more.
  9. You agree to release usage rights of submitted photos to TfJ.
  10. Photos submitted must be of sufficient quality to post on TfJ, final decision is the judges.
  11. One of these photos must show rulers or tape measures to prove adherence to rule #5.
  12. One of your final photos must have a piece of paper that says "Terrain from Junk" in it.
  13. The winner will be determined by a weighted combination of poll results (100%), judges ranking (100% per 25 poll votes @ 1st: 10 , 2nd: 7 , 3rd: 5 , 4th: 3) and bonus points.
  14. Bonus points available (5); (0-2) using extra pieces of junk from TfJ posts, (0-3) providing the "bits" photo in a similar fashion to what's found in TfJ posts (with miniatures for scale)
  15. The voting poll will close May 31st, 2010.
  16. Winner will be announced June 5th, 2010.
best of luck! any questions can be submitted through commenting on this post.

7 comments:

Cawshis Clay said...

So I was gong to enter. Then I realized the coffee can turned storage silo/bastion already had an example in cans (but not in "nuts" where I originally saw it). Tough to locate which pieces don't have an example and which ones do. Like if I click "can" in the junk area...there are no examples below...but if I scroll down, I see an example under "storage tank." Interwebs. You are my nemesis!

All that said, I'm submitting a few photos and will post a tutorial on my blog. I hope other folks enter!

Tristan M said...

I think the "example" you're seeing is from a tutorial. If there's no pics beneath "examples in use" you are good to go. I would put your example under "cans".

I believe there are a couple folks entering from Eastern Fringe too.

Flamekebab said...

Release usage rights?

You're going to have to be a bit clearer. I'm happy to license my content under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Deriv 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ ) although depending on your needs I might be willing to be more flexible.

Flamekebab said...

Oh, I have another question - why does the footprint have to be so large?

I understand that you don't want just tiny bits of terrain, but what about vertical terrain?

I have an ork watchtower for example (as seen here: http://gorkamorka.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/f4.jpg ) which is 15" tall but only has a 20"^2 base.

As the table we usually play on is only 4'x4' there's not a huge amount of room for big terrain features.

However, if you can't be flexible about that, I understand and will probably enter regardless. I just wanted to ask.

Flamekebab said...

I could have sworn I didn't use that many linebreaks..

Tristan M said...

To be clear, it's 'usage' rights, not ownership or anything like that. Just to ensure photos can be used on this blog without any repercussion.

I thought 36 square inches was pretty small, for this contest it'll have to be left as is, but your comments will be taken into consideration for next time.

Cawshis Clay said...

My comp crashed and I may have lost all my built-but not primed pictures. Trying to recover now. I'm still sending what I have in though...just to get the rewards! :) Hope you got a lot of great entries!

about tfj | contact tfj | 2010 terrain from junk