Save those packing materials!

I'm always on the lookout for interesting packing materials, nicely shaped cans, boxes, decent corrugated card - anything that I might be able to use in one of my terrain projects!


This piece of packaging was the box that my old digital camera arrived in - to be honest, I think I was more excited about this than the camera itself!
The packaging is an eggbox-card shell, which you get all kinds of different electrical gadgets in. I've had this one nestled away with the idea of turning it into some Tatooine-esque post-apocalyptic shantytown buildings...
I separated the different sections of the cardboard with a craft knife and began to trim the edges to blend them better into MDF bases - I'll get 3 buildings out of this piece of packing material.
Before gluing the pieces to their separate bases/additional pieces, I used some junk materials (in this case, some polystyrene foam packing that I couldn't really use due to it's lack of durability, plus some scraps of foamboard) to add some sturdiness to the pieces, rather than having them hollow. As always with terrain, the hot glue gun is your friend!
Here's one of the pieces, combined with an old junked Rhino, various additions and some polyfilla (spackle for those in the US!) - these could work well in a lot of different urban environments - for example, as pre-fabricated dwellings.

If you have any more ideas for how any of these pieces could be used in terrain, please leave a comment!

9 comments:

Kevin Spyrle said...

I think I would have broken the Rhino up a bit, to get 2 or three pieces from it and maybe even some "area terrain" to hide in.

Deserter said...

Thanks for the comment! The use of the rhino was inspired by an old article in White Dwarf about wasteland/shanty terrain. They used a Chimera (and added a sort of turret/position to it with a tube and heavy stubber) but kept the vehicle fairly intact. The Rhino was an old junk one provided by a friend - it had no sides and he had begun to rebuild them with card - I needed a way of hiding at least one side of it - the side that he'd barely started...

I still have plenty of stuff to create area terrain with :)

Cawshis Clay said...

Fantastic work! I love those packaging materials and am inappropriately disappointed when my latest gadget isn't packed with that sweet sweet potential terrain piece! What's up with the styrofoam substitute used! Blargh

One thing I always do with these cardboards is to add armor plates (I have an example somewhere on this very blog! The cereal cardboard "plates" add a bit more depth to the molded cardboard.

Splendid work! Can't wait to see it painted.

Cawshis Clay said...

I should also say that splitting up the piece is brilliant and something I never considered! Idea STOLEN!

Unknown said...

Wonderful work with packaging materials. I should also say that dividing up the item is amazing and something I never considered!

Junk House Clearance London

Leigh George Kade said...

I never thought of cutting them up! I have a bunch of these that I am converting over into Infinity terrain. Just needs doors, windows, and signage. Great stuff!

Babit said...

I really appreciate the work you have done, you explained everything in such an amazing and simple way. Thanks for sharing this useful blog.
Packing Material

Babit said...

Really I feel happy to see this useful blog, Thanks for sharing such a nice blog.
Packing Material

Wellpack Europe LTD said...

Thanks for sharing about packaging materials and how to save packing materials for reuses. keep sharing such a greet posts

about tfj | contact tfj | 2010 terrain from junk